Sunday, December 30, 2012

Year End: Blog In Review


     When I began this blog on June 2, 2012 I didn’t know what to expect.  I wasn’t sure if anyone would be interested, if I would have enough to write about or if it would be worthwhile to anyone other than myself.  As of today I’ve had 1,332 page views, that’s an average of 47 views per post.  As I have posted religiously every week, (except for the month I took off to write my novel), I’ve clearly had enough topics to sustain a weekly blog.  From the comments I’ve received both on and off my blog, I know that I’ve struck a chord with at least a handful of people.  And so it seems my blogging has been a successful endeavor.  

When I was struggling for a purpose and looking for a way to get into writing again, Joe suggested I start a blog.  I came up with the title Bottling Time months before succumbing to the idea of actually writing a blog.  I knew posting consistently would force me to write and what I wrote would allow me to bottle moments in time with my kids and thus I began my blogging journey.  I’m not sure how long I expected to stick with it, but am grateful I have.  I’m damn proud of myself for being able to do this amidst my full time job and helping to raise two young kids.   

Each week that I’ve been etching my parenting moments in time, I’ve gotten more personal than I had intended, but in the end think this is what people have found most interesting.  I’ve been putting my words out there in the world for others to consume and at times have felt emotionally naked, baring it all or at least most of it.  Yet, this is what writers do, be it fiction or nonfiction, we put ourselves out there with the desire for our words be read and to touch those that read them.  In being honest about my faults and fears of parenting, I’m learning more about myself.  Also, I’ve come to realize how important it is for parents to share in their parenting woes.  It’s so freaking hard to raise little people and even though it’s a blessing, we don’t talk much about just how much of a burden it can be.  In reaching out with my blog, I’ve discovered that I’m not alone in my anxiety.  I’m not the only one wringing my hands with worry and wondering if I’m doing this parenting thing right.  While I have way more questions than I have answers in examining myself I’ve been able to get new perspectives on my experiences with my kids and my role in their lives.   In both small and large ways I’m strengthening my relationships with Zoey and Hunter through my blog.  Someday I hope they will read my posts and be grateful for my words and my attempts at bottling time.              

As with most people, one of my New Year's resolutions this year is to drop some pounds, but I also intend to continue my aim to remain present with my kids and not let my anxiety tarnish the precious moments.  In the new year, I will continue blogging, but going forward will post every other week instead of once a week. This will give me more time to edit and work on my novel in an attempt to make something happen with it and doing that is also a resolution of mine.  I'm hoping there's some truth to that old saying, do what you love and the rest will follow.

If you enjoy reading my blog, take a minute to feed my writer ego.  There are a few ways you can do this: by clicking “Join this site” you can follow my blog, you can share the link on Facebook or Twitter or tell your friends about it, you can leave comments on specific posts or simply like the link on my Facebook page.  Let me know which posts you’ve liked best (or not liked) and why, so I can write more (or not) like them.  I appreciate all of you that take the time to read my words, I hope I’m making it worthwhile and you’re enriched in one way or another.  Happy New Year to all!


Top 5 Most Read Posts



1 comment:

  1. my hat is off to you Trisha for being able to take the time to do this. We all have thoughts running through our minds that we wish we could put out there. Its someone special who has the discipline and imagination to be able to do it. Here's to 2013 and all the good things that are in store for you and Joe & the kidlets. God bless us, everyone!

    ReplyDelete