Wednesday, June 27, 2012

I’m Smart, I’m Brave and I’m Beautiful

Smart




The other day I was reading to Zoey before bed.  One of the books I had picked out was a number book which we’ve had since she was a baby.  I used to read it to her and count the frogs, butterflies or flowers on the pages, in time she could count them with me, then she could count them by herself.  Now when I point to the number and ask her what it is, she can tell me.  She knows her numbers 1 to 10!  She’s been recognizing them for a couple months.  This night without hesitation she told me each number.  I was struck with pride.  She also knows many shapes and recognizes some letters.  We have some puzzle pieces floating around the house and one of them is a T.  Yesterday I picked it up and asked her what letter it was.  She said “T for Trisha.”  I think I told her this a couple times but it stuck.  I’m awed by her.  She isn’t in Preschool yet and has picked up on all this without us putting a great deal of emphasis on it. 
She is also a pro with computers.  She used to be obsessed with this website called StarFall.  It’s an education site that my mom showed us.  One day I got tired of sitting there with her and decided to see if she could do it herself.  I moved the mouse to the left side of the keyboard (she’s a lefty) and asked her to try.  After only a couple minutes of me showing her what to do with a few glitches here and there she got it.  Within days she was able to work her way all around that website.  This I think has helped her with recognizing her numbers and letters.  She can manipulate Joe’s Ipad better than I can.  She can figure out her game apps with ease.  I know all of this doesn’t necessarily make her a genius in the world but it makes her a genius to me.  

Brave


Zoey has never been afraid to try new things.  When she was about 18 months we were at the park.  She began climbing the long curved ladder that leads up to the play gym. This yellow ladder was probably 8 feet long and at least six feet off the ground.   It’s meant for big kids but that wasn’t going to stop her.  My first instinct was to take her down.  Instead I stood beneath the ladder with my heart pounding and my arms up ready to catch her.  I have a feeling I will be metaphorically doing this often throughout our lives.  I’m both glad and slightly afraid that she is so brave.  The other night she told me she wants to climb all the way to the top of a tree.  She was asking how she could do it.   She’s got quite an imagination, she asks what would happen if she went into a book, went down the drain or made it to the top of that tree.  My imagination goes right there with her.  I have thought of several children’s books ideas based on things she says or asks. 
Last week she started swimming lessons.  Joe signed her up for an evening class so I could join them after work.  Day 1 she was a little apprehensive.  She loves water but she wasn’t super comfortable in it.  Fast forward to Day 5 when she was jumping into the teachers arms.  She’s now confident in the pool and came a long way in only 5 days.  She has another 4 days left in this session and Joe signed her up for more after that.  Not only is she my brave little girl, she’s going to be a little swimming pro. 

Beautiful



Every mother thinks their daughter is beautiful.  I’m no exception.  Zoey is the most gorgeous girl in the world to me.  She’s a little blondie with bluish green eyes.  I want her to feel beautiful inside and out always.  I went through and still go through stages where I’m unhappy with my weight and/or looks and I don’t want her to have these struggles.  I’m working hard right now to get down to an ideal weight for me (and stay there).  I try my best not to talk about my weight in front of her and emphasize that exercise is important.  I want her to feel confident and beautiful in her own skin in a way I never have. 


Mantra


I’m absolutely amazed by her.  Not only do I want her to know it but I want her to be amazed by herself too. This mantra popped into my head while I was sitting with her that night. I said it out loud “I’m smart, I’m brave and I’m beautiful.”  I had her repeat it and she smiled when she said it.  I hope this saying will stick with us throughout the years to come.  Zoey is all three of these things and I want her to know and feel it always.




No comments:

Post a Comment