Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Zoey Turns Four


Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. --Elizabeth Stone


Dress up fun
On October 17th, 2008, Zoey Lynn, my 10 lb. 10 oz big bundle of baby was pulled from my womb C-section style and I became a mommy.  I had no idea what I was doing or what I was in for.  Motherhood is the most difficult, most amazing and most heart wrenching experience I will ever endure.  I’ve never been happier, more worried, more proud or more mad because of another human being ever before.  Zoey is inquisitive and stubborn, beautiful and wild, shy and brave, smart and sweet, good and bad, a little obsessive and mine.

She makes my heart melt and she makes my heart burn.  She manipulates situations and pushes my buttons.  Sometimes she frustrates me, makes me yell (and I’m not proud but there have been cuss words uttered in her presence), she makes me cry with exasperation and demand why she just won’t listen.  After my meltdown on top of her meltdown she makes me wish I was more patient.  Even after all the maddening torment of parenthood, she is still my heart walking outside my body and I would do anything to protect her. 

The other day she was pushing her limits, being jealous of Hunter and throwing tantrums throughout the long day.  A few minutes before bedtime she was sitting on the floor in front of the freezer crying and begging for another popsicle.  I was done with her nonsense, but then in a lighthearted voice I asked, “Zoey, can we send you back?”  I immediately felt bad for saying this, but there was no taking it back.  She stopped whining and In a sad little voice asked, “Where?  Back to the hospital?”  I had been thinking back to the womb, but I thought her response was smart.  I added, “Yeah, let’s go pack up your stuff.”  She said she didn’t want to go back, she stopped asking for another popsicle and we headed off to get ready for bed.  Even though this offhanded threat worked, I haven’t used it since.  The thought of not having this girl, my daughter, in my life every day and the possibility of her thinking that I don’t want her there is unimaginable.  

Her new big girl bike
My great uncle Al and Zoey share a birthday, they just have ninety-six years between them.  He will be 100 years old this birthday.  He still lives by himself and was still driving until a few years ago.  My mom’s side of the family has been blessed with longevity.  My great grandma lived to be 99.  My great Uncle Al made it goal to live longer than his mom had and now he’s succeeded!  I hope the longevity gene was passed down to Zoey (and Hunter).  Here’s to another ninety-six happy and healthy years for Zoey.  Happy 4th birthday my love bug!

I wrote a silly birthday poem for Zoey this year.  I had intended to write one for my kids on their birthdays each year, but haven’t quite accomplished this, maybe every other year will be my goal.  Anyway, here’s the poem:







4th Birthday Poem for Zoey

My love bug is four
shut the door!
Say it’s not true
what will I do?

I’d like to slow the years to a stop
it’s not working, on they hop.
It’s okay, this is just the beginning
so far away is the ending.

She’s shy, but brave
and sometimes won’t behave,
She hasn’t mastered the art of listening
I love to spy while she’s pretending.

She’s oh so pretty and so tall
heads above them all.
She loves to sing song after song
and wants me to sing along.

Big sister is her role
she loves Hunter, her baby bro.
He wants do everything she does
run, jump and try to fly just because.

Princesses are her fave
this will change, it’s just a phase.
She loves her pink blanket still
but with her monkey she’s had her fill.

She’s in preschool now
I can’t believe it, wow.
She loves to count, 
the ABCs, she will shout. 

Z to the O to the E to the Y
she makes my heart soar so high.
She loves to snuggle and loves to hug
I adore her more than ladybugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment